Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

On 8 July 1901, at the request of farmers in the area, a small bush school was opened in the Runcorn-Sunnybank area where two bush tracks crossed. It was named the Runcorn Provisional School - the word "Provisional" denoted that the parents provided the building and equipment while the Queensland Department of Public Instruction, (now named the Department of Education, Training and Employment), provided the teacher.

There were twenty-five children when the school first opened who were taught by the principal, Miss Maud Fraser. The main transport in the area was the daily train to and from the city, or horse drawn vehicles. At that time there were no cars, no electricity, no sewerage and no water supply. Pupils in those days mostly walked to school, some from five miles away.

The district was a farming area, mostly producing citrus fruit, pineapples and poultry.

In 1909, the school became Runcorn State School when the Department of Public Instruction took over full responsibility for the school. The Sunnybank area has fertile soil and good underground water so farms flourished.

Runcorn State School grew quietly and steadily over the next forty years. During the 1950's and 1960's, Runcorn was well known in teaching circles as the Project Club school. Student teachers from Kelvin Grove Teachers' College came out once a year - up to 250 at a time - to see children at the school conduct meetings and give talks on how to run forestry, pineapple, citrus and rose clubs. Until the 1950's Sunnybank continued to be mainly a farming area. Many Brisbane people drove out on Sunday afternoons to visit the farms to buy pawpaws, avocados, custard apples, vegetables and flowers from roadside stalls.

During the late 1960's and l970's the farms were finally swallowed by Brisbane's urban sprawl. This was a boom time for property developers in the area; most farms were subdivided to make housing estates. During this period, it was the fastest developing area in Queensland. The school felt the pressure of this influx of people as it struggled to cope with ever-growing numbers, reaching its peak enrolment of over 1100 in the mid-1970's with many classes housed in temporary buildings.

Other schools such as those at Sunnybank Hills, Warrigal and Runcorn Heights were built to relieve the crowding and the enrolment at Runcorn gradually decreased.

A school swimming pool was built in 1980 and solar heating was added in more recent years. The pool is an integral part of Runcorn's Health and Physical Education program as well as being the Runcorn Swimming Club's home venue.